Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Slums of Dublin...Part6 (Sheriff St.)

As I walked into the flats, I got that nervous feeling again. A voice wafted across from the 3rd floor of Laurence’s Mansions...."Pierre, Concepta, yer dinner’s poured...Come in for yizzer souuup". (Isn’t it funny how working-class Dublin mothers give their children "posh" names.) I get to Ger`s door and shout in the broken letterbox "Come out with yer bleedin` hands up, this is the Store Street gardai!"...Ger came out in her "Penney’s" bathrobe with a towel around her head. "Hooya, come in, me "cousind" Penelope (Irishh) and her boyfriend Paulie(Pol1) are here from the country." I knew I could smell "slurry" the minute I walked in the door. I went into the parlor and introduced meself. They sure looked like bleedin` culchies alright. Paulie was wearin` a pair of wranglers way too tight for him. The crack of his arse was showin` and a big bleedin` culchie beerbelly hung over the front of his jeans. There was the obligatory wad of keys hangin` out of his belt. I had a quick look at the back of his neck to see was it really red and jaysus ye could fry and egg on it, if ye had and egg. (Sally O`Brien, where are ye when we need ye!"). Penelope was a big strapping country girl with clothes straight out of Guineys. (Does anybody remember getting the confirmation outfit in Guineys...The salesman tells you what to wear rather than the other way round.)..."I told Paulie and Penelope that we would show them the nightlife scene in Dublin" sez Ger. "And we don`t want none of them "dishcos" or other quare places." sez Paulie. "Oh F***"I thought to meself, that means were left with The Ierne, The National, or the Garda Boat Club... The smell of manure will be ripe tonight...."Well how about the National, thats where me and Ger met!" sez I...."As a matter of fact, Bridie always jokes with me",..."Where did ye meet yer mot"...."At the National"..."What!...Ye mean the Grand National" Ger always goes bleedin` scarlet when I tell people what her oulwan sez...