Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Slums of Dublin...Part13 (Croke Park.)

Sunday morning (the day of the Big Match). "Ma, hey Ma, where`s me blue O`Neills shirt?"..."Will ye shut bleedin` up, I`m tryin` to read Micheline McCormack`s Problem page in the Sunday World!"..."Ah jayz Ma, I need it to support the boys in blue!"...So I head over to Sherrifer and Ger`s flat...I shout in the broken letterbox..."This is the Hill 16 supporters club. We want all culchies out on the double!"...I could see Paulie(Pol) and Penelope in the back room brickin`...Then Ger comes running out with curlers in her hair..."Yer a bleedin spacer!...Don`t be scarin` me cousint!"..."Hey, what the f**k are ye wearin` that green and gold jersey for?"..."Did`nt I bleedin` tell ye, Penelope bought the tickets and we`re in the Hogan Stand!"...It was`nt like my Ger to be a bleedin` turncoat. She gave me the eye as if she had something up her sleeve. There was no way I was going let me mates see me walking up Amiens street with 3 culchies, so I got me blue flag and wrapped it around me head like a bleedin` Arab, and borrowed a pair of corporation glasses off Bridie. All four of us went into Cusacks on the North Strand for a few scoops before the big game. We were gettin into an oul sessiun, when Ger sez, "I`m runnin` out a bleedin` money."..."No bleedin`problem, here gimme that Sunday World!".... So I rolled up the paper, went outside and started directing the traffic into "free" parking spaces at 50pence a pop. Within a half hour I made an extra fiver...As we are walkin` up to Croker , we pass by every bleedin` East Wall gurrier there was, and I`m bleedin` mortified they`ll recognize me through the Arab scarf and corpo glasses hangin` out with culchies...Jaysus I`d never live it down!...We`re in the Hogan Stand, surrounded by a gansy load of bleedin` Kerry culchies and I`m gettin` frustrated...They started singin` Rose of Tralee, and I said to Ger... "Ah4fukSake Ger, we can`t have this!"...so the two of us started bleedin` roarin`... "Oh the Jacks are back, the Jacks are back, Let the Railway end go blarney, Cause Hill 16 has never seen the likes of Heffos` army"...I swear the lads in Hill 16 heard us cause they joined in... All the culchies around us tried to drown us out by shoutin` the Rose of Tralee louder..."Ah for Jaysus Sake, that’s bleedin` it!" sez Ger, and with that she starts to strip off her green and gold outfit. Then off comes her knickers.(It was then that I knew that Ger`s blonde hair was really a peroxide blonde!). Then off comes the bra, and then I knew what she had up her sleeve all along. She had painted one diddy navy blue and the other one sky blue. She starts to run towards the pitch in her birthday suit, hops over the fence and goes in front of the "royal" box and gives Garett Fitzgerald and all the other dignitaries the V-sign.(Harvey Smith eat yer heart out.) She then streaks across the pitch in the direction of Hill 16. The Bomber Liston tries to give her a rugby tackle but misses. Pat Spillane grabs her, but Brian Mullins gives him a kick in the bollix. By this stage, Hill 16 was in a frenzy and they all started heaving towards the pitch and knocked down the fence. Tony Hanahoe and Jimmy Keaveney carried Ger shoulder high and did a lap around Croker. There were tears streamin` down me face...That was Ger, My Ger....A true Dublin brazzer if there ever was one....